SAC General Meeting Minutes
Wednesday, July 5, 2000
PRESENT: Tessa Chalberg, Carol Gloriosa,
Valerie Golembiewski, Gary Hansen, Alice Keith, Barbara Lancaster, Linda Lee,
Anne Lopez, Paula Lundquist, Audrey Mattson, Candace Maynard, Rosemary Oviedo,
Jack Roberts, Barbara Schmid, Jose Solorzano, Karen Stanley, Sara Thomas, Jon
Tureaud, Jane Van Wyck
ABSENT (Excused): Gisela Duell, Rebecca Flores, Kathleen Huffer, Robbyn
Lennon, Rhonda Ormsby, Patricia Stewart, Lisa Wakefield
ABSENT (Unexcused): Ann Araiza, Judith Griel, Serena Haroian, Marjan
MacPhee, Rosita Peralta
GUESTS: Tina Alvarez
MINUTES: Meeting convened at 3:10 p.m. Jose welcomed everyone, especially
the new members and guests. Binders were distributed to the new members which
included a copy of the Bylaws, the agenda for the meeting, the budget report and
the UA Compensation Philosophy.
Each of the members of SAC, current and new, introduced themselves. Gary
Hansen, explained the Mentor Program described in the Constitution. The new
members indicated whom they would like to pair with and Gary, as Executive VP
will coordinate this is done.
Sara Thomas distributed the hard copy of the treasurerís report; she and
Gary provided the verbal report.
Jose Solorzano gave the Executive Board Report.
- The retreat was discussed. It is finalized and will be July 21st
from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Two vans will leave The Water Resources Building
at 350 N. Campbell Ave. at 8:00 a.m. for Madera Canyon and return by 5:00
p.m. The menu was discussed and all answers to questions involving leaving
personal vehicles, dress code, etc., were answered.
- SAC Committees were discussed as there are several empty chairs. Karen
Stanley read the description of each Committee involved so that new members
could think about joining up in a Committee. A sheet was passed around for
new members to join. Committee Chairs will be discussed and finalized at the
Individual Committees were reported on:
- Gary Hansen described the Tri-University Executive Board which is comprised
of the SAC Advisory Boards from the three campuses that meet 3 times per year
with each individual campus taking a turn to host the meetings. We will be
going to NAU on August 18th for the next meeting.
- Paula Lundquist reported on the Communications Committee. Clare Madey has
rotated off SAC after 7.5 years. Paula agreed to chair this committee through
the retreat when a new chair can be selected. Paula will continue with the SAC
Newsletter (due out in August).
- Jon Tureaud reported on Emily Krauz Staff Endowment and that he is taking
this over from Tanya.
- Anne Lopez reported on the Employee Recognition event. They are working on a
date and place for next year. Jose explained that he is on the Arts Committee
which runs concurrent with the Employee Recognition event and also "Music
on the Mall." The employee art exhibit is now on line on the SAC web
- There were no reports on the Human Resources or Legislative committees as
their chairs were absent.
- Gisela Duell has expressed an interest in chairing the Membership Committee
and rotating off the Legislative Committee.
- Linda Lee reported on the Marketing Committee and stated that the Popcorn
Social was being advertised all over and was ready to go for July 7th.
- Jack Roberts explained APOC (Appointed Personnel Organization Council) and
shared that it is a liaison group of Appointed Personnel working on and
reviewing campus issues.
- Jose reported on the Campus Advisory Council. This Council talks with the
President about campus issues. They have suspended for the summer and will
start up again in September. Jose will serve as the SAC Representative.
- There was no report on the Commission on the Status of Women as Lisa
Wakefield was not present.
- Jose reported on the Faculty Senate. We should have a representative at
these meetings. Jose is listed as the contact person but the Executive Board
would like to rotate a representative and make sure someone is at each of
- Karen Stanley reported on SPBAC (Strategic Planning Budget Advisory
Committee) that they have been quiet for the summer with their weekly meetings
and will start up again soon.
- Jack Roberts reported on UCAT (University Compensation Advisory Team) which
meets months on compensation issues. Faculty representation is Saunie Taylor
and George Davis. Jack passed out a sheet with the UA Compensation Philosophy
and Objectives adopted by the UCAT team.
- Karen Stanley read the description of the Communications, Membership and
Legislative, which currently have no chair.
- The roles of the Marketing, Communications, and Membership committees were
discussed to see if they really should be a combined group. It will be
discussed more at the retreat but there is a distinct difference in the
Marketing and Communications committees. Membership may fit with one or the
other and probably should have more than one person on the committee.
- Linda Lee discussed the Popcorn Social more in that we should email everyone
Retreat Agenda Issues:
- Candy Maynard (new member) wanted to discuss how merit raises are dispersed
as they seem to be an issue of "favoritism." She would also like to
see a University wide policy informing new employees about parking when they
are hired and not the day they start. Since there are waiting lists, they
would at least get on the list ahead of time and find out options for
transportation or parking before they actually start.
- Just as there is a checklist for terminating employment, there should be one
for starting employment that include all the things employees need to know or
cover before they start.
- New employees should be given an orientation contact sheet of whom to
contact for various problems and questions they have in the relative
- Jose said that the SAC web page was being updated and could include contact
information and reference list.
The meeting adjourned at 5:00 p.m.
Respectfully submitted by Paula Lundquist